The Injury and Special Populations course equips you with the skills and in-depth knowledge required to address a broad range of physical challenges among your clients. Successful completion of this and all Advanced Courses is required for full STOTT PILATES® Certification. At the completion of this series of lecture-demonstrations, you will be able to customise your clients’ workouts to address particular weaknesses, conditions, postural problems or injuries.
General Course Objectives
- How to apply STOTT PILATES® biomechanical principles of core stability, peripheral mobility, breathing and alignment to relevant exercises
- Breakdown of essential and intermediate level exercises
- Exercise essence, muscular initiation and movement sequencing
- Variations to increase or decrease exercise intensity
- Modifications for specific body types, postural issues and conditions
- Effective communication, visual skills, verbal cuing and imagery for performance enhancement and client motivation
In addition to general course objectives you learn:
- How to address a variety of injuries, weaknesses and conditions including lower back pain, spinal conditions, hip and knee replacements
- Treating shoulder problems, neck and shoulder tension, fibromyalgia, arthritis, pregnancy
- Application of appropriate STOTT PILATES® biomechanical principles
- Workout design for personal training programs and speciality classes
- Appropriate modification of matwork, Reformer, Cadillac, Stability Chair™ and Barrels exercises
- Effective communication, visual skills, verbal cueing and imagery for client motivation
You must have completed IMP or IR courses prior to starting ISP
24 hours instruction, 16 hours review and practice teaching conducted over four to six days
Prior to starting the course you will need to purchase the following required course materials from Merrithew.com. To get the most from the course it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with these materials before you start.
ISP Resource Guide Manual & Injuries and Special Populations Support Materials Manual
Back Care™ Pilates Level 1 Video
Back Care™ Pilates Level 3 Video
Lumbar Stabilization Video
Shoulder Stabilization Video
We allow auditing of the following courses if a student has previously taken them: IMP, IR, ICAD, ICHR, IBRL, AM, AR, ACAD, ACHR, ABRL, CMR, and CCCB. We also allow auditing of the ISP course if taken post-June 2007 to present for a fee of $399.00 +tax. This fee will allow you to participate in the course as if you were a regular student. This will NOT earn you CEC’s.
How to Register
As there are admission requirements for this program, you will need to contact our Education Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 403.245.5885. They will answer any questions you have surrounding this course!
Stay in touch
Updates, News and Promos sent to your inbox.